Our students have received various awards from the external organizations in recognition of their outstanding achievements.
The following shows some awards they have got in:
Students with outstanding scholastic achievements or services may be awarded scholarships. In the past years, about 10% of our second and third year students received various scholarships.
Our students regularly receive awards given by the external organizations, for example, our students received the following awards:
- In 2003, three students submitted their projects to a competition in the Intervarsity Internet Technologies Exposition and Conference 2003. Among the 400 projects submitted by the students in all the local universities, their projects were given the Merit Awards. They were also invited to share their cutting-edge innovation in a Radio Interview.
- Two postgraduate students presented their research results in the International Conference of Advanced Information Networking and Applications. They received the Best Paper Award.
- A postgraduate student presented her research results in the 4th ACM Postgraduate Research Day. She received the Best Presentation Award.
- Two students got Merit Awards in the IT Exposition and Conference consecutively in 2003 and 2004.
- In 2005, a postgraduate student, in conjunction with his supervisor, was awarded the Distinction Award of Amway Intervarsity Internet Technologies Exposition and Conference 2005, organized by the Internet Professionals Association.
- The student was again presented the Certificate of Merit (Post-Secondary Category) of the 7th IT Excellence Awards 2005 by the Hong Kong Computer Society.
- In July 2007, a fresh graduate of our Department, represented Hong Kong and won the First-grade Award in the Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Amway Universities IT Project Competition 2007 in Guizhou, China.
- The graduate again won the second-class award in the National Challenge Cup Competition in November 2007.
- Three Year 1 students won the 1st Runner-Up Award, among 27 teams from local universities, in the IBM DB2 UDB Inter-University Programming Contest in February 2008. Our Department was also presented the Champion University Award, as our teams scored the most points among all the teams.
- A team of students, being the only team amongst Hong Kong's tertiary institutions, supported by our Department has won the final National Second Prize in the Olympic Website Competition during the Beijing Olympics 2008.
- In March 2009, one of our PhD students won the Award of Merit in the poster session of the ACM-HK Student Research and Career Day.
- Another PhD students received the Best Presentation Award at the 4th Beijing-Hong Kong International Doctoral Forum in August 2009.
- In June 2010, one of our fresh graduates won the Bronze prize in the final competition of the 2010 Amway Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Universities IT Project Competition held in Chengdu. The award-winning project is a database management system running on flash devices.
- The paper presented by two of our research postgraduate students and two of our faculty members received the Best Paper Award of IEEE CIT 2010, Bradford, UK.
- In 2010, Prof. Clement Leung and his research student won the championship in the Hong Kong Business Plan Competition organized by the Yong Entrepreneurs Development Council. Among over 1,400 participants and over 300 business proposals, Prof. Leung and his student has demonstrated excellence in developing a business plan focusing on the development of a high-tech portable multimedia player that makes organizing photos and videos easier.
- In 2010, one of our postgraduate students presented his research paper at the 5th Beijing-Hong Kong International Doctoral Forum organized by the Tsinghua University. He received the Best Poster Award.
- At the 7th Final Year Project Competition organized by the IEEE(HK) Computational Intelligence Chapter held in 2010, one of our graduates won the Championship for his final year project.
- In 2011, two graduate members of our Department won the Merit Prize of the HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award.
- Both the Silver and Bronze prize of the 2011 Amway Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Universities IT Project Competition were won by the year 3 students of our department.
- With her outstanding academic performances and passion for innovation and technology, one of our year 2 students won an Innovation and Technology Scholarship Award of HK$100,000 in 2011. The scholarship would allow her to participate in an exchange study opportunity in the UK and also a series of internship programmes.
- At the 8th Final Year Project Competition organized by the IEEE(HK) Computational Intelligence Chapter held in 2011, one of our students won the Championship for his final year project.
- In 2011, one of our CS students won the championship of the HKITF 30th Anniversary Scholarship in recognition to his outstanding and innovative project.
- Our MPhil student won the First Class Prize in the 12th National Challenge Cup Contest held in October 2011.
- The project conducted by our CS student won the APICTA Award 2011 held in Pattaya, Thailand.
- At the HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award for Students of Electronic Engineering or Related Engineering Fields (2011), our students won the Silver Prize, Bronze Prize and Merit Prize.
- A team comprising of 2 BSc in Computer Science students and 1 PhD students won the First Runner-up Award at the Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) Collegiate Programming Contest (Hong Kong) held on 16 June 2012.
More information is available at: Awards and Scholarships