Competitions and Events
In the past years, our students have participated in various competitions and events organized by local and international organizations.
Many of them received awards in recognition of their outstanding achievements.
- In July 2007, a fresh graduate of our Department, represented Hong Kong and won the First-grade Award in the Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Amway Universities IT Project Competition 2007 in Guizhou, China.
- The graduate again won the second-class award in the National Challenge Cup Competition in November 2007.
- Three Year 1 students won the 1st Runner-Up Award, among 27 teams from local universities, in the IBM DB2 UDB Inter-University Programming Contest in February 2008. Our Department was also presented the Champion University Award, as our teams scored the most points among all the teams.
- A team of students, being the only team amongst Hong Kong's tertiary institutions, supported by our Department has won the final National Second Prize in the Olympic Website Competition during the Beijing Olympics 2008.
- In March 2009, one of our PhD students won the Award of Merit in the poster session of the ACM-HK Student Research and Career Day.
- A PhD student received the Best Presentation Award at the 4th Beijing-Hong Kong International Doctoral Forum in August 2009.
- In June 2010, one of our fresh graduates won the Bronze prize in the final competition of the 2010 Amway Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Universities IT Project Competition held in Chengdu. The award-winning project is a database management system running on flash devices.
- The paper presented by two of our research postgraduate students and two of our faculty members received the Best Paper Award of IEEE CIT 2010, Bradford, UK.
- In 2010, Prof. Clement Leung and his research student won the championship in the Hong Kong Business Plan Competition organized by the Yong Entrepreneurs Development Council. Among over 1,400 participants and over 300 business proposals, Prof. Leung and his student has demonstrated excellence in developing a business plan focusing on the development of a high-tech portable multimedia player that makes organizing photos and videos easier.
- In 2010, one of our postgraduate students presented his research paper at the 5th Beijing-Hong Kong International Doctoral Forum organized by the Tsinghua University. He received the Best Poster Award.
- At the 7th Final Year Project Competition organized by the IEEE(HK) Computational Intelligence Chapter held in 2010, one of our graduates won the Championship for his final year project.
- In 2011, two graduate members of our Department won the Merit Prize of the HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award.
- Both the Silver and Bronze prize of the 2011 Amway Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Universities IT Project Competition were won by the year 3 students of our department.
- With her outstanding academic performances and passion for innovation and technology, one of our year 2 students won an Innovation and Technology Scholarship Award of HK$100,000 in 2011. The scholarship would allow her to participate in an exchange study opportunity in the UK and also a series of internship programmes.
- At the 8th Final Year Project Competition organized by the IEEE(HK) Computational Intelligence Chapter held in 2011, one of our students won the Championship for his final year project.
- In 2011, one of our CS students won the championship of the HKITF 30th Anniversary Scholarship in recognition to his outstanding and innovative project.
- Our MPhil student won the First Class Prize in the 12th National Challenge Cup Contest held in October 2011.
- The project conducted by our CS student won the APICTA Award 2011 held in Pattaya, Thailand.
- At the HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award for Students of Electronic Engineering or Related Engineering Fields (2011), our students won the Silver Prize, Bronze Prize and Merit Prize.
- A team comprising of 2 BSc in Computer Science students and 1 PhD students won the First Runner-up Award at the Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) Collegiate Programming Contest (Hong Kong) held on 16 June 2012.
- At the HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award for Students of Electronic Engineering or Related Engineering Fields (2012), our students won the Silver Prize, Bronze Prize and Merit Prize.
- At the Samsung Hope for Children App Creation Competition, two participating teams, namely 'GPA' (formed by HKBU students and CUSCS student) and 'Lion Ken' (formed by HKBU students) won the Second Place and Third Place respectively.
- Computer Science PhD students led a team to propose a business plan of Barrier-Free School which won the Champion, Best Social Mission and Best Presentation Awards at the 2013 Hong Kong Social Enterprise Challenge (HKSEC 2013).
- Two BSc in Computer Science students won Merit Awards in the HKEIA Innovation and Technology Project Competition Award (2013).
A BSc in Computer Science student won the iCity My Dream APP Competition organized by Chinese YMCA of Hong Kong and Dot.Asia Organization. The team also be offered the chance to attend the international conference APRICOT in Bangkok in February 2014.
- A PhD student received the Best Student Paper Award in the 2013 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI 2013).
- A BSc in Computing Studies (Information Systems) student joined a team called The Rising Power which delivered their project presentation at Harvard University in the US and won the Silver Project Award at the 2013 International Bio-molecular Design Competition (BIOMOD 2013).
- At the Asia Student Supercomputer Challenge (ASC) 2013, our students received the Proud Team Award among 43 participated universities.
A BSc in Computer Science student designed an augmented reality mobile application for navigation in barrier-free environment and won the Best Student Invention Award (College & Undergraduates Section) in the Hong Kong ICT Awards 2014.
- An MPhil student received the Best Application Paper Award in the 18th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2014).
- Computer Science's team won the BEST $300,000 for New Venture - Business Plan Competition (social enterprise category).
- Computer Science students won the 2nd runner-up and the 3rd runner-up in 2014 Pan-Pearl River Delta Region - IT FYP Competition (Hong Kong Region).
- Computer Science's team won the Third Runner-up Award in ACM Collegiate Programming Contest (Hong Kong) 2014.
- Two BSc in Computer Science students won the Bronze Prizes in the Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Universities IT Project Competition 2014 (Final Round).
Computer Science student won the Championship in the Pan-Pearl River Delta Region Universities IT Project Competition 2015 (Hong Kong Region).
- A PhD Student won the Best Student Paper Award in the 23rd Conference on User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2015).
- A PhD Student and Faculty Members won the Best Paper Award in the 1st International Conference on Big Data Computing and Communications (BIGCOM 2015).
Two teams of Computer Science students won the Champion and Merit Award at FWD Challenge Award – Winter Challenge, sponsored by FWD Hong Kong. They developed prototypes to demonstrate the usefulness and practicality for making use of the available data for Hong Kong to become a Smart City.
HKBU established the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) Student Chapter. The Student Chapter aims to facilitate the promotion of engineering profession to our young generation and to foster a spirit of friendly collaboration between the students of Computer Science Department and the HKIE. Six Computer Science students form the first committee.
A team of Computer Science students won the First Class Award and Most Popular Team Award in ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge 2016 (ASC16). Among 175 teams from 148 universities worldwide, HKBU team reached the ASC Final as one of the Top 16 teams.
- An MSc student gained Hong Kong Youth Service Award for Outstanding Community Service.
- A Computer Science student won the Merit Prize in the HKEIA Innovation and Technology Project Competition Award (2016).
- A Computer Science Student was selected into the entrepreneurship training “Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Entrepreneurship and Maker Skills Integrator (MEMSI) Programme”. He and his team won an award after completing this 16-day programme.
A team of Computer Science students won the First Class Award in Student Supercomputer Challenge 2017 (ASC17) . Among 230 teams from over the world, HKBU team reached the ASC Final as one of the Top 8 teams.
A team of Computer Science students won 3rd Prize in HSBC FinTech Safeguard App Competition held in November to December 2017 for their outstanding idea on building a secure financial system and fight crime.
Two of our year 4 students teamed up with other universities won the Special Gold Medal and Special Award at the 31st World Genius Convention in Tokyo, Japan, outshining 72 international teams. Earlier the team had gained the Special Gold Medal at the Hong Kong Young Genius Award to represent Hong Kong to take part in the World Genius Convention.
- With his outstanding academic performances and passion for innovation and technology, one of our year 2 students won an Innovation and Technology Scholarship Award of HK$150,000 in 2018. The scholarship would allow him to participate in an exchange study opportunity in the UK.
- A team of Computer Science students won First Class Award in the Student Supercomputer Challenge 2018 held in May. The team was the only one from Hong Kong to reach the final and won the First Class Award out of more than 300 enrolled teams from around the world.