Jiming Liu, IEEE Fellow
Chair Professor in Computer Science
Hong Kong Baptist University
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
Email: jiming@ comp. hkbu.edu.hk
Jiming Liu is Chair Professor in Computer Science and Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies) of the Faculty of Science at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU). He received M.Eng. and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from McGill University, Montreal, after obtaining Master of Arts from Concordia University and B.Sc. in Physics from East China Normal University, Shanghai. Before 1994, he worked in the IT industry in Canada (e.g., Computer Research Institute of Montreal (CRIM), Virtual Prototypes Inc. (VPI), and Knowledge Engineering Technology Inc. (KENTEK)).
Prof. Liu’s current research interests are in the following areas:
§ Data-Driven Models and Methods in Complex Systems Engineering;
§ Data Mining in Large-Scale Social/Complex Networks;
§ Multi-Agent Autonomy-Oriented Computing (AOC); Collective Intelligence;
§ Emerging Web Intelligence (WI) Services and Systems;
§ Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems
He received the President's Award for Outstanding Performance in Scholarly Work at HKBU in 2007, and was named IEEE Fellow in 2011 for his contributions to Web Intelligence (WI) and Multi-Agent Autonomy-Oriented Computing (AOC). He has given Keynote Talks at ICNC’08-FSKD’08, AWIC’07, RSEISP’07, RSKT 2006, AMT’06, and AWIC'05, and Invited Plenary Talks at KES’05, MMAS 2004, ISMIS’03, and IJCAI’03, among others.
Prof. Liu has served professional communities in various capacities, e.g., Editor-in-Chief of Web Intelligence and Agent Systems, Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (2005-2009), IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B (2009-), and Computational Intelligence (2007-) etc., Editorial Board Member of several other journals, General (Co-)Chair or Program (Co-)Chair of international conferences (IHI’12, ISMIS’12, ICDM’06, WI/IAT’05, EEE’04, IDEAL’03, WI/IAT’01, and IAT’99 etc.), Chair of IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Intelligent Informatics (TCII) (2010-), IEEE Computer Society Fellows Committee Member (2011), Co-Director of Web Intelligence Consortium (WIC), Member of Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) Engineering Panel (2004-2010), and Member of Hong Kong Young Scientist Award Selection Panel (2002-).
Authored Books and Edited Books/Proceedings
Journal and Conference Papers
Data-Driven Models and Methods in Complex Systems Engineering;
Data Mining in Large-Scale Social/Complex Networks
1. Liu, J. and Chen, Y.W., “Toward understanding the optimization of complex systems,” in Artificial Intelligence Review, (online first; DOI: 10.1007/s10462-011-9256-4).
2. Shi, B.Y. and Liu, J., “A decentralized mechanism for improving the functional robustness of distribution networks,” in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, 42(5):1369-82, 2012.
3. Yang, B., Liu, J., and Liu, D.Y., “Characterizing and extracting multiplex patterns in complex networks,” in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, 42(2):469-481, 2012.
4. Yang, B., Liu, J., and Feng, J., “On the spectral characterization and scalable mining of network communities,” in IEEE Transactions on Data and Knowledge Engineering, 24(2):326-337, 2012.
5. Liu, J., Tao, L., and Xiao, B., “Discovering the impact of preceding units’ characteristics on the wait time of cardiac surgery unit from statistic data,” in PLoS ONE, 6(7):e21959, 2011.
6. Liu, J. and Xia, S., “Toward effective vaccine deployment: A systematic study,” in Journal of Medical Systems, 35(5):1153-64, 2011.
7. Liu, J. and Hu, B., “On complex emergent behavior, self-organized criticality, and phase transition in multi-agent systems: The Autonomy Oriented Computing perspectives,” in International Journal of Modeling, Identification and Control, 3(1):3-16, 2008.
8. Yang, B., Cheung, W.K.W., and Liu, J., “Community mining from signed social networks,” in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 19(10):1333-1348, 2007.
Multi-Agent Autonomy-Oriented Computing (AOC); Collective Intelligence
1. Gao, C., Liu, J., and Zhong, N., “Network immunization with distributed autonomy-oriented entities,” in IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 22(7):1222-1229, 2011.
2. Liu, J., Chen, Y.-W., Yang, G., and Lu, Y., “Self-organized combinatorial optimization,” in Expert Systems With Applications, 38:10532-10540, 2011.
3. Xie, X.F. and Liu, J., “Multiagent optimization system for solving the traveling salesman problem (TSP),” in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, 39(2):489-502, 2009.
4. Liu, J., “Autonomy-Oriented Computing: The nature and implications of a paradigm for self-organized computing,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC’08), Vol. 1 (jointly held with the 5th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD’08), Oct. 18-20, 2008, Jinan, China, pp. 3-11 (Invited Keynote).
5. Liu, J. and Tsui, K.C., “Towards nature-inspired computing,” in Communications of the ACM, 49(10):59-64, 2006.
6. Liu, J., Jin, X., and Tsui, K.C., Autonomy Oriented Computing (AOC): From Problem Solving to Complex Systems Modeling, Kluwer Academic Publishers / Springer, 2005.
7. Liu, J., Jin, X., and Tsui, K.C., “Autonomy Oriented Computing (AOC): Formulating computational systems with autonomous components,” in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A, 35(6):879-902, 2005.
8. Liu, J., Han, J., and Tang, Y.Y., “Multi-agent oriented constraint satisfaction,” in Artificial Intelligence, 136(1):101-144, 2002.
Emerging Web Intelligence (WI) Services and Systems;
Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems Software
1. Gao, C. and Liu, J., “Modeling and restraining mobile virus propagation,” in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2012 (online first; DOI:10.1109/TMC.2012.29).
2. Yang, B. Liu, J., and Liu, D., “An autonomy-oriented computing approach to community mining in distributed and dynamic networks,” in Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 20(2):123-157, 2010.
3. Wang, M.H., Liu, J., Wang, H.Q., Cheung, W.K.W., and Xie, X.F., “On-demand e-supply chain integration: A multi-agent constraint-based approach,” in Expert Systems with Applications, 34(4): 2683-2692, 2008.
4. Liu, J., Jin, X., and Wang, Y.S., “Agent-based load balancing on homogeneous minigrids: Macroscopic modeling and characterization,” in IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 16(7):586-598, 2005.
5. Liu, J., Jin, X., and Tang, Y.Y., “Multi-agent collaborative service and distributed problem solving,” in Cognitive Systems Research, 5(3):191-206, 2004.
6. Cheung, W.K.W., Tsui, K.C., and Liu, J., “Extended latent class models for product recommendation,” in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A, 34(1):143-148, 2004.
7. Liu, J., Zhang, S., and Yang, J, “Characterizing Web usage regularities with information foraging agents,” in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 16(5):566-584, 2004.
8. Zhong, N, Liu, J., and Yao, Y.Y. (Eds.), Web Intelligence, Springer, 2003.
© Copyright 2013 Jiming Liu