Iris texture as a unique and stable biometric modality can be used for reliable identity authentication in many important applications such as secure access control, international border crossing and law enforcement, etc. Fundamentals of iris recognition will be briefly introduced firstly. And then recent progress of iris sensors, algorithms and applications will be presented to motivate novel ideas for possible improvement of iris biometrics. Recent development of light-field iris sensors is promising to improve user-interface of iris image acquisition. Deep learning has been successfully used for iris image segmentation, iris matching and liveness detection. Mobile applications of iris biometrics have been developed to secure Internet bank, e-commerce, etc.
Zhenan Sun is currently a Professor with the Center for Research on Intelligent Perception and Computing (CRIPAC), National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR), Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CASIA), China. He received the B.E. degree in industrial automation from Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, the M.S. degree in system engineering from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, and the Ph.D. degree in pattern recognition and intelligent systems from CASIA in 1999, 2002, and 2006, respectively. Since March 2006, he has joined the NLPR of CASIA as a Faculty Member. He is IAPR Fellow, a member of the IEEE Computer Society and the IEEE Signal Processing Society. His current research interests include biometrics, pattern recognition, and computer vision, and he has authored/co-authored over 160 technical papers. He has been an Associated Editor of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security and IEEE Biometrics Compendium.
- John Daugman, "High confidence visual recognition of persons by a test of statistical independence," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1148-1161, Nov 1993.
- John Daugman, "Statistical Richness of Visual Phase Information: Update on Recognizing Persons by Iris Patterns”, International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol. 45(1), pp.25-38, 2001.
- Li Ma, Tieniu Tan, Yunhong Wang and Dexin Zhang, "Personal identification based on iris texture analysis," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1519-1533, Dec. 2003.
- Li Ma, Tieniu Tan, Yunhong Wang and Dexin Zhang, Efficient Iris Recognition by Characterizing Key Local Variations, IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.,13, No.6, pp. 739- 750, 2004.
- Zhenan Sun and Tieniu Tan, "Ordinal Measures for Iris Recognition," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 31, No. 12, 2009, pp. 2211 - 2226.
- Zhaofeng He, Tieniu Tan, Zhenan Sun and Xianchao Qiu, "Towards Accurate and Fast Iris Segmentation for Iris Biometrics", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 31, No. 9, 2009, pp.1670-1684.
- Nianfeng Liu, Man Zhang, Haiqing Li, Zhenan Sun, Tieniu Tan, "DeepIris: Learning Pairwise Filter Bank for Heterogeneous Iris Verification”, Pattern recognition letters, in press.
- Zhenan Sun, Hui Zhang, Tieniu Tan, and Jianyu Wang, "Iris Image Classification Based on Hierarchical Visual Codebook," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 36, No. 6, 2014, pp.1120-1133.
- Zhenan Sun, Libin Wang, Tieniu Tan, “Ordinal Feature Selection for Iris and Palmprint Recognition”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 23, No. 9, 2014, pp.3922-3934.
- Jing Liu, Zhenan Sun, Tieniu Tan, Distance metric learning for recognizing low-resolution iris images, Neurocomputing, Vol. 144, 2014, pp.484-492.
- Zhenan Sun and Tieniu Tan, Iris Anti-spoofing, Handbook of Biometric Anti- Spoofing, Springer, pp. 103-123, 2014.
- Haiqing Li, Zhenan Sun, Man Zhang, Libin Wang, Lihu Xiao and Tieniu Tan, "A brief survey on recent progress in iris recognition", The 9th Chinese Conference on Biometric Recognition, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 8833, Springer, pp.288-300, 2014.
- Chi Zhang, Guangqi Hou, Zhenan Sun, TieniuTan and Zhiliang Zhou, "Light Field Photography for Iris Image Acquisition”, Z. Sun et al. (Eds.): CCBR 2013, LNCS 8232, Springer, pp. 345–352, 2013.
- Tieniu Tan, Xiaobo Zhang, Zhenan Sun, Hui Zhang, "Noisy iris image matching by using multiple cues", Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume 33, Issue 8, 2012, pp.970-977.
- Haiqing Li, Zhenan Sun and Tieniu Tan, "Accurate Iris Localization Using Contour Segments,” Proc. International Conference on Pattern Recognition, November 2012, Japan.
- Xingguang Li, Zhenan Sun and Tieniu Tan, "Comprehensive Assessment of Iris Image Quality”, The 18th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP2011), September 11-14, 2011.
- Tieniu Tan, Zhaofeng He, and Zhenan Sun, "Efficient and Robust Segmentation of Noisy Iris Images for Non-cooperative Iris Recognition ", Image and Vision Computing, Vol.28, pp.223-230, 2010.
- Zhenan Sun, Wenbo Dong, and Tieniu Tan, "Technology Roadmap for Smart Iris Recognition", International Conference on Computer Graphics & Vision (GraphiCon), pp.12-19, 2008.
- Wenbo Dong, Zhenan Sun, Tieniu Tan, "How to make iris recognition easier?”, International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp.1-4, 2008.