Prof. Xu received his BEng degree in computer science and engineering from Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China and his PhD degree in computer science from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. His research interests include big data management, mobile/pervasive computing, and data security and privacy. He has published more than 200 technical articles in refereed journals and conferences including SIGMOD, PVLDB, ICDE, INFOCOM, TODS, TKDE, TPDS, and VLDBJ. His research has been funded by RGC, ITF, and NSFC, with a total amount exceeding HK$20 million. He is a senior member of IEEE and CCF, and a member of IEEE Technical Committee on Data Engineering and CCF Technical Committee on Databases. He has served as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) and Proceedings of VLDB Endowment (PVLDB).
- Big Data Management
- Mobile/Pervasive Computing
- Data Security and Privacy
- Q. Liu, M. Zhao, X. Huang, J. Xu, and Y. Gao. "Truss-based Community Search over Large Directed Graphs." Proc. the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD '20), Portland, OR, USA, June 2020.
- C. Xu, C. Zhang, and J. Xu. "vChain: Enabling Verifiable Boolean Range Queries over Blockchain Databases." Proc. the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD '19), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2019.
- C. Zhang, C. Xu, J. Xu, Y. Tang, and B. Choi. "GEM^2-Tree: A Gas-Efficient Structure for Authenticated Range Queries in Blockchain." Proc. the 35th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE '19), Macau SAR, China, 2019.
- C. Xu, J. Xu, H. Hu, and M. H. Au. "When Query Authentication Meets Fine-Grained Access Control: A Zero-Knowledge Approach." Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD '18), Houston, TX, June 2018.
- Q. Zhu, H. Hu, C. Xu, J. Xu, and W.-C. Lee. "Geo-Social Group Queries with Minimum Acquaintance Constraints." Very Large Data Bases Journal (VLDBJ), 26(5): 709-727, October 2017.
- L. Chen, J. Xu, X. Lin, C. S. Jensen, and H. Hu. "Answering Why-Not Spatial Keyword Top-k Queries via Keyword Adaption." Proc. the 32nd IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE '16), Helsinki, Finland, May 2016.
- Q. Chen, H. Hu, and J. Xu. "Authenticated Online Data Integration Services." Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD '15), Melbourne, Australia, May/June 2015.
- R. Chen, Q. Xiao, Y. Zhang, and J. Xu. "Differentially Private High-Dimensional Data Publication via Sampling-based Inference." Proc. of the ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (SIGKDD '15), Sydney, Australia, August 2015.
- Q. Chen, H. Hu, and J. Xu. "Authenticating Top-k Queries in Location-based Services with Confidentiality."Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment (PVLDB '14), Hangzhou, China, September 2014.
- H. Hu, J. Xu, Q. Chen, and Z. Yang. "Authenticating Location-based Services without Compromising Location Privacy." Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD '12), Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 2012.