The Department has several research laboratories with specialized hardware and software to support research in different sub-disciplines such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AIML), Big Data and Data Management (BDDM), Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Distributed Systems and Networking (DSAN), etc. There are about 80+ dedicated machines (BigDATA systems, GPU Clusters, and CPU Clusters with large RAM, etc.) for providing high performance computing resources
. In addition, a PC cluster
with 50+ nodes is set up for supporting research. This cluster runs MOSIX which extends Linux (openSUSE) to manage the running processes on clusters.
- BigDATA systems (7 sets): 2 name nodes + 5 data nodes (2xE5-2620 v3 6-Core Intel Xeon CPU, 128GB RAM and 24TB data storage) connected with 10Gb network switch and dual 10GB NIC teaming of each server operating in Apache Hadoop systems;
- GPU Clusters (36 sets): 2 x NVIDIA Ampere A100-40G, 8 x NVIDIA Ampere A100-40G Nvlink, 8 x NVIDIA Ampere A100-80G, 8 x Huawei Neural Network Processing Units, 2 x AMD EPYC 7302 3.0GHz or 4 x NVIDIA Tesla V100-32G, 2 x Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz, 2 x Xeon Gold 6226 2.70GHz and 1TB RAM;
- GPU supercomputing machines (5 sets donated by Inspur): 3-set of NF5588 and 1-set of NF5188, and 1-set of NF5280M2;
- CPU Clusters with large RAM (33 sets) with 1PB storage system: up to Dual 64-core CPU and 1TB RAM; and
- PC cluster (55 sets): PCs (Intel i7, 16GB RAM and 2TB HD)
To make use of the latest technology, our Department employs innovation products in our systems and applications around the areas and laboratories, such as VR devices & DevKit, Google glasses, Interactive Wall, Touch TV, Structure Sensor 3D Scanning Bundle, and 3D printer etc.
Research and Development Centres/Laboratories
These centres and laboratories aim to support research and development. They are primarily used by academic staff, research staff, and postgraduate research students. The laboratories are equipped with specialised hardware and software to support research in different areas.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Laboratory (AIML)
- Big Data and Data Management Laboratory (BDDM)
- Blockchain and FinTech Laboratory
- Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Laboratory (CVPR)
- Distributed Systems and Networking Laboratory (DSAN)
- High Performance Machine Learning Laboratory
- HKBU-CDC Joint Research Laboratory for Intelligent Disease Surveillance & Control (IDSC)