Dr. Lu (Eric) Zhang is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU). Before join HKBU, he was a postdoctoral fellow in Department of Computer Science and Pathology at Stanford University, supervised by Prof. Serafim Batzoglou and Prof. Arend Sidow. He received the MPhil degree from Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine at The University of Hong Kong and the PhD degree in Computer Science from City University of Hong Kong in 2012 and 2016, respectively. In 2008, he received the B.Eng in Software Engineering from Tianjin University. During 2015, he was a visiting scholar in Department of Mathematics at UC Berkeley. He has an interdisciplinary background in biology, statistics and computer science. His primary research interests are computational genomics, bioinformatics and machine learning. His team works specifically on developing computational tools to understand metagenome and cancer genome by linked-read sequencing and applying deep learning to genomics and clinical image data. His work has been published in several top-tier journals, such as PNAS, Nature Communications, Nature Genetics, Genome Biology, Bioinformatics, etc.
- Computational Genomics
- Data analysis for High-throughput Sequencing
- Deep learning in Genomics and Clinical image data
- Network Biology
- Machine Learning
- JiFeng Guo†, Lu Zhang† et al. De novo coding mutations contribute to early onset Parkinson's disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2018 (Joint First Author).
- Xin Zhou, Serafim Batzoglou, Arend Sidow, Lu Zhang*. HAPDeNovo: a haplotype-based approach for filtering and phasing de novo mutations in linked read sequencing data. BMC Genomics, 2018 (Corresponding Author).
- Lu Liu†, Lu Zhang† et al. The SNP-set based association study identifies ITGA1 as a susceptiblity gene of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Han Chinese. Translational Psychatary, 2017 (Joint First Author).
- Lu Zhang, Cheng Qin, Junpu Mei, et al. Identification of microRNA Targets of Capsicum spp. using MiRTrans – a trans-omics approach. Frontiers in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 2017.
- Lu Zhang, Xikang Feng, Yen Kaow Ng and Shuai Cheng Li. Reconstructing directed gene regulatory network by only gene expression data. BMC Genomics, a special issue foir IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 2015.
- Xueyan Li†, Dingding Fan†, Wei Zhang†, Guichun Liu†, Lu Zhang†, et al. Outbred genome sequencing and CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing in butterflies. Nature Communications, 2015 (Joint First Author).
- Dingge Ying, Pak Chung Sham, David Keith Smith, Lu Zhang, Yu Lung Lau and Wanling Yang. HaploShare: identification of extended haplotypes shared by cases and evaluation against controls. Genome Biology, 2015.
- Jing Zhang†, Lu Zhang†, Jiaxu Hong, Dan Wu, Jianjiang Xu. Association of Common Variants in LOX with Keratoconus: A Meta-Analysis. PLOS One, 2015 (Joint First Author).
- Huashui Ai, Xiaodong Fang, Bin Yang, Zhiyong Huang, Hao Chen, Likai Mao, Feng Zhang, Lu Zhang, et al. Adaptation and possible ancient interspecies introgression in pigs identified by whole-genome sequencing. Nature Genetics, 2015.
- Lu Zhang, Jing Zhang, Jing Yang, Dingge Ying, Yu lung Lau, Wanling Yang. PriVar: a flexible toolkit for prioritizing SNV and indel from next generation sequencing data. Bioinformatics, 2013.
- Lu Zhang, Wanling Yang, Dingge Ying, Stacey S. Cherny, Friedhelm Hildebrandt, Pak Chung Sham, Yu lung Lau. 2011. Homozygosity mapping on a single patient identification of homozygous regions of recent common ancestry by using population data. Human Mutation, 2011.