obtained my Ph.D and MSE degrees in Computer and Information Science from the University of Pennsylvania in 2006 and 2001,
respectively. I received my Bachelor of Engineering degree (with the first-class honours) in Computer Engineering from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). I was awarded the IEEE (Hong Kong Section) prize in 1999. Before joining the Hong Kong
I was an Assistant Professor with School of
Computer Engineering / Nanyang
Technological University (NTU) for three happy years (2005 - 2008). I was a
research associate at the University of
Edinburgh in 2005 and a summer student intern for the Galax project at AT&T Labs Florham
Park. I visited HKUST theoretical computer science group in
2003. I am a member of ACM, IEEE
Computer Society and IEEE Technical Committee of Data Engineering (TCDE). I served as a reviewer of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) 2014.
I am a member of Database Group
at HKBU. I was a recipient of the HKBU President's Award for Outstanding Young Researcher 2016, the Department's Best Teaching Award in 2015 and Best Research Award in 2014. I served as the director of a Croucher Foundation Advanced Study Institute (ASI) titled "Frontiers in Big Data Graph Research" 2015.
An interview by the HKBU's Public Relation Office provides some alternative information about me.
Looking for strong applicants for PhD students and research assistants:
- Applicants may have good background in (but not limited to) mathematics, algorithms and programming. Priorities are given to those who have backgrounds on graph data management or securities. The research assistant positions are immediately available for one year and extensible for multiple years based on performance and availability of funds. An example of possible research topic can be found here. Our progress on providing secure subgraph query services can be found here. The general information of database research at HKBU can be found here. For enquiries, please contact bchoi at comp dot hkbu dot edu dot hk.
- Graph-structured databases
- Incremental maintenance algorithms and view updates
- Database security
- User interfaces for database systems
- Data publishing
General Research Funds (GRF) in the capacity of Principle Investigator (PI):
- Privacy-preserving Linear Algebra Framework for Graph Query Algorithms for Massive Networks (HKBU12232716, 2017-2019, on-going)
- Exploratory Search on Graph Databases through Subgraph Query Feedback (HKBU12201315, 2016-2018, on-going)
- Adaptive Filtering for Efficient Subgraph Isomorphism in Graph Databases (HKBU210510, 2011-2012, completed)
- Optimizations for the View Update Problem with Emerging Applications (HKBU210409, 2010-2011, completed)
Program Committee (Partial):
- PVLDB 2018, PVLDB 2015, ER 2015, CIKM (tutorial) 2015, WWW (demo) 2014, CloudDb 2014, IEEE Big Data Science and Engineering (BDSE 2014), IEEE BigData Congress 2014-2013, DEXA 2014-2008, IEEE BDDS2013, DASFAA 2013-2011, APWeb/WAIM 2010-2007, SIGMOD IDAR 2008, ICDE 2008, CIKM 2008, ...
External Reviewer (Partial):
- ICDE, VLDB, TODS, VLDBJ, TOIS, TKDE, TKDD, Information Systems, ER, ...
Local Organizing Committee:
Selected Publications (full list at DBLP):
Yi, B. Choi, S. S. Bhowmick and J. Xu.
AutoG: A Visual Query Autocompletion Framework for Graph Databases. The VLDB Journal 26(3):347-372, 2017. (Demo )
- S. S.
Bhowmick, B. Choi and C. Dyreson.
Data-driven Visual Graph Query Interface Construction and Maintenance: Challenges and Opportunities [Vision]. PVLDB 9(13): 1505-1508, 2016.
Peng, B. Choi, B. He, S. Zhou, R. Xu and X. Yu.
VColor: A Practical Vertex-cut Based Approach for Coloring Large Graphs. ICDE 2016, Pages 97-108.
- J. Jiang, P. Yi, B. Choi, Z. Zhang and X. Yu.
Privacy-Preserving Reachability Query Services for Massive Networks. CIKM 2016, Pages 145-154.
Fan, B. Choi, J. Xu and S. S. Bhowmick.
Asymmetric Structure-Preserving Subgraph Query for Large Graphs. ICDE 2015. Pages 339-350. [pdf]
Fan, B. Choi, Q. Chen, J. Xu, H. Hu and S. S. Bhowmick.
Structure-Preserving Subgraph Query Services. TKDE 27(8): 2275-2290 (2015). [pdf]
Y. Peng, Z. Fan, B. Choi, J. Xu and S. S. Bhowmick.
Authenticated Subgraph Similarity Search in
Outsourced Graph Databases. TKDE 27(7): 1838-1860 (2015). [pdf]
D. Wu, B. Choi, J. Xu and C. S. Jensen. Authentication of Moving Top-k Spatial Keyword Queries. TKDE 27(4):922-935 (2015). [pdf]
Fan, Y. Peng, B. Choi, J. Xu and S. S. Bhowmick.
Towards Efficient Authenticated Subgraph Query Service in Outsourced Graph Databases. TSC 7(4):696-713, 2014. [pdf]
Peng, B. Choi, J. Xu, H. Hu and S. S. Bhowmick.
Side-Effect Estimation: A Filtering Approach to the View Update Problem. TKDE 26(9):2307-2322 (2014). [pdf]
Deng, B. Choi, J. Xu, H. Hu and S. S. Bhowmick.
Incremental Maintenance of the Minimum Bisimulation of Cyclic Graphs. TKDE 25(11): 2536-2550 (2013). [pdf]
- S. S. Bhowmick, B. Choi and S. Zhou. VOGUE: Towards a Visual Interaction-aware Graph Query Processing Framework. CIDR 2013.
Song, Y. Peng, B. Choi, J. Xu and B. He.
Spectral Decomposition for Optimal Graph Index Prediction. PAKDD 2013. Pages 187-200.
Peng, B. Choi and J. Xu.
Selectivity Estimation of Twig Queries on Cyclic Graphs. ICDE 2011. Pages 960-971.
- H. Hu, C. Ren, J. Xu and B.
Choi. Processing Private Queries over Untrusted Data Cloud through Privacy
Homomorphism. ICDE 2011. Pages 601-612. (Implementation! )
Zhu, A. Sun and B. Choi.
Detecting Spam-Blogs from Blog Search Results. IPM 2011 47(2): 246-262.
Choi, H. Hu, J. Xu, W.
Cheung, C. H. Li and J. Liu. Data Engineering in
Graph Databases. ISCIS 2010. Pages 127 - 132. (invited paper)
Bramandia, B. Choi and W-K. Ng. Incremental
Maintenance of 2-hop Labeling of Large Graphs. TKDE
22(5): 682-698 (2010).
Jin, S. S. Bhowmick, X. Xiao, J. Cheng and B. Choi.
GBLENDER: Towards Blending Visual Query Formulation and Query Processing
in Graph Databases. SIGMOD 2010. Pages 111-122.
Cheng, B. Choi and W. Cheung. Hiding Emerging Patterns with Local Recoding
Generalization. PAKDD 2010. Pages 158 - 170.
Bramandia, J. Cheng, B. Choi and J. X. Yu. Optimizing
Updates of Recursive XML Views of Relations. The VLDB Journal 18(5):1313-1333, 2009.
Bramandia, B. Choi and W-K. Ng. On Incremental
Maintenance of 2-hop Labeling of Graphs. WWW 2008. Pages 845-854. [pdf]
Choi, G. Cong, W. Fan
and S. D. Viglas.
Updating Recursive XML Views of Relations. JCST 23(4):
516-537 July 2008.
Tang, J. X. Yu, M. T. Ozsu, B. Choi and K-F. Wong. Multiple Materialized
View Selection for XPath Query Rewriting. ICDE
2008. Pages 873-882.
He, Q. Luo and B. Choi. Adaptive
Index Utilization in Memory-Resident Structural Joins. TKDE
19(6): 772 - 788 (2007).
Choi, G. Cong, W. Fan and S. D. Viglas. Updating Recursive XML Views of
Relations. ICDE 2007. Pages 766 - 775.
He, Q. Luo and B. Choi. Cache-Conscious Automata for XML Filtering. TKDE
18(12): 1629-1644 (2006).
Lin, B. He, and B. Choi. A Quantitative Summary
of XML Structures. ER 2006. Pages 228-240. LNCS
Choi. Document Decomposition for XML Compression: A Heuristic Approach.
DASFAA 2006. Pages 202-217. LNCS 3382
- P. Buneman, B. Choi, W. Fan,
R. Hutchison, R. Mann and S. D. Viglas. Vectorizing
and Querying Large XML Repositories. ICDE 2005. Pages 261-272. [pdf]
He, Q. Luo and B. Choi. Cache-Conscious Automata for
XML Filtering. ICDE 2005. Pages 878-889. [pdf]
- P. Bohannon, B. Choi and
W. Fan. Incremental Evaluation of Schema-Directed XML Publishing. SIGMOD
2004. Pages 503-514. [pdf]
Choi, W. Fan, X. Jia,
Kasprzyk. A Uniform System for Publishing
and Maintaining XML Data. VLDB 2004 (demo). Pages 1301-1304.
Choi, M. Mahoui
and D. Wood. On the Optimality
of Holistic Algorithms for Twig Queries. DEXA 2003. Pages 28-37. LNCS
Simeon, B. Choi, A. Marian, G. Sur. Implementing Xquery 1.0: The Galax Experience. VLDB 2003 (demo).
Choi. What are Real DTDs
Like? WebDB 2002. Pages 43-48. [pdf]
R. Chen, X. Weng, B. He, B. Choi and M. Yang. Network Performance Aware Graph Partitioning for Large Graph Processing Systems in the Cloud. Large Scale and Big Data: Processing and Management. S. Sakr and M. M. Gaber (Eds.), to be published by CRC Press, 2013 [an earlier version published in SoCC '12]. [Book Link] [Amazon Link]
Filed U.S. Patents:
Yun Peng, 2013. (First appointment: Research fellow at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
Zhe Fan, 2015. (First appointment: Big Data Analyst Engineer at Huawei, Shenzhen, China)
Choi. Vectorising and Querying
large XML Repositories: Can XML query language be as effective as SQL? Informatics
2004 Poster Competition at University
Buneman and B. Choi. Vectorising and Querying XML. National e-Science
April, May 2004.
Choi, M. Mahoui and D. Wood. On the Optimality
of the Holistic Twig Join Algorithm. DIMACS Working Group on Streaming
Data II. March 2003. (abstract)
- B. Choi, M. Fernandez and J. Simeon. The XQuery
Formal Semantics: A Foundation for Implementation and Optimization.
Technical Report MS-CIS-02-25, University of Pennsylvania,
Choi, M. Mahoui and D. Wood. The Optimality of
Holistic Algorithms for XPath. 2003. [pdf]