Our Research Excellence
The Computer Science Department of HKBU is committed to quality of teaching as well as research excellence over the years.
Currently, the Department has over 20 academic staff members, including 3 IEEE Fellows and 6 IEEE Senior Members.
All of the faculty members have Ph.D. degrees awarded by renowned universities in Australia, Canada, Switzerland, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Hong Kong.
The research output of the Department has been strong. Academic staff of the Department have regularly published in the prestigious journals such as:
- ACM Transactions on Database Systems
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology
- ACM Transactions on the Web
- Artificial Intelligence
- Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent System
- Communications of the ACM
- IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Computers
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- Management Information Systems Quarterly
- Pattern Recognition
- Very Large Database (VLDB) Journal
In addition, the academic staff present their research results in major international conferences such as CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, ICDE, ICML, IJCAI, INFOCOM, KDD, NIPS, SIGMOD, and VLDB.
For more details about our department, please refer to our presentation slides on Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
The Department has several research laboratories with specialized hardware and software to support research in different sub-disciplines such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AIML), Big Data and Data Management (BDDM), Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Distributed Systems and Networking (DSAN), etc. There are about 90 dedicated machines (BigDATA systems, GPU Cluster, and Research Machines etc.) for providing high performance computing resources. In addition, a PC cluster with 50+ nodes is setup for supporting research. This cluster runs MOSIX which extends Linux (openSUSE) to manage the running processes on clusters. For more details, please refer to Research Facilities
Additional Support for Research-related Activities
On top of the fellowship award offered by RGC, our department provides additional scholarships for successful HKPFS awardees, as well as additional support for carrying out research-related activities such as attending overseas conferences and joining exchange programmes / attachments in world-renowned universities. In addition, Postdoctoral Research Fellowships will be awarded to outstanding PhD graduates for furthering their research in top overseas universities.
||HKPFS during 4-year study
||Offered by RGC
||Additional Support offered by HKBU and our Department
||Additional HK $951,600 for 4-year study subject to satisfactory performance
||HK $30,000 (Scholarship for Outstanding Performance)
| Tuition Waiver
||First year tuition waiver; tuition waivers for subsequent years of study are subject to satisfactory academic progress
Overseas Exchanges / Attachments and Research-related Activities
||Plus HK $60,000 for student's 4-year study period
Procurement of research materials, books, equipment, etc
Potential Research Topics for 2022 Admission
Our faculty members work on a broad range of research topics in the areas of Computational Intelligence, Databases and Information Systems, Networking and Systems, Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning. While some potential research topics for 2021 Admission are listed below, please feel free to contact our faculty members
for discussion of the PhD research plan.